Friday, October 27, 2006

Pacers Spotlight: Jeff Foster.


I'm gonna try and write this without looking at another website. Listen, until about 3 years ago, I didn't know who Jeff Foster was, nor did I care. But now, I know who he is and I care about how he plays. With Carlisle opting to go small ball this year, Foster will be coming off the bench behind JO and playing the 5 if JO slides over. My most fondest memories of Foster are from the playoffs a couple years ago against the Pistons. I think that it was 04-05, when the Pacers were on life support and Foster was the spark plug off the bench pulling down double digit rebounds against one of the best frontlines in the NBA.

Now, for a few games you can look like a playa against a then-Big Ben led Pistons team. But, over a seven game series, even the most serviceable role players are going to look human. This is what happened to Foster. He played over his head and then came back to life, which makes him not consistent enough to be a starter. That's why I think Foster will be better suited for this role coming off the bench. He is an excellent offensive rebounder, which in my opinion is a lost art, and is the guy along with Marq Daniels that can really have an impact coming off the bench. Foster has the ability to grab a couple O-Boards and block a shot or two. He is a guy that has decent athleticism for his size and can play defense. Jeff Foster isn't going to make any mistakes that are going to kill you on the floor. He is a high intensity guy that can spell JO and hopefully his limited offensive ability does not become a hinderance.

I think Foster is good for 15 to 20 minutes a night and a couple of offensive rebounds. This might be asking a lot, but if Foster can provide this, then anything above or beyond this will be welcome. Hopefully, JO will stay healthy so that Foster can play a role that he does best, coming off the bench.

No comments: